If you’re anything like me, then mashed potato was a guilty favorite prior to going keto. It’s one of the few dishes I generally mourned the loss of when I made the switch to low-carb. That was until I discovered this delightful keto loaded cauliflower mash! Made with sour cream, bacon, cheddar cheese, and plenty of butter, it’s a lovely healthy snack or a delicious keto side dish! With only about 5g of net carbs and plenty of fat, it’s also one of our favorite lazy keto recipes
How to make the caulimash correctly?
Cauliflower is an unsung hero of the keto world: It’s incredibly versatile and (I think) delicious, but it must be prepared properly for the dishes it’s being used in. To be used as mash, it’s critical that you cook and drain your cauliflower thoroughly.
To ensure it’s cooked thoroughly without absorbing too much moisture, it’s best to cut the cauliflower into florets and then steam them, rather than boil them. Limiting the water content is crucial otherwise the caulimash will become soupy when processed / blended with the sour cream and butter, rather than light and fluffy with a nice mashed consistency.
Once cooked, let it sit uncovered for a little while to release additional moisture. Next, you can either use some paper towel to dry it off further, or place it in a bowl or container and then compress it to squeeze out additional fluid.
Finally, a food processor works best but if you don’t have one then blending all of the ingredients together until it’s nice and fluffy and smooth also works.
You’ll want to do all of this fairly quickly so that it’s still hot enough to melt the cheddar cheese that put on top along with some cooked, crumbled bacon. Yum!
This recipe is best served and consumed immediately as it can go a bit gooey when reheated. If you don’t mind the less than desirable texture, then it will keep in the fridge for about 3 days.
See also: Keto Shrimp Scampi and Zoodles
Keto Loaded Cauliflower Mash
- 1 Food processor or blender
- 1 Steamer
- 1 Cutting board
- 1 Kitchen knife
- 1.5 Heads large cauliflower (~1lb)
- 1 Cup cheddar cheese (grated)
- 4 Oz sour cream
- 2 Rashers bacon
- 2 Tbsp chives (snipped or chopped)
- 3 Tbsp butter (unsalted)
- 1/4 Tsp garlic powder
- Chop the cauliflower into florets and steam them for about 5 - 7 minutes. Let them sit uncovered after cooking for a few minutes to let excess water evaporate. Put the florets into a container and squeeze excess water out.
- Cook the bacon in a frying pan until it's well cooked and crispy. Then chop or crumble it into small bits
- Add the cauliflower into a food processor or blender and process until light and fluffy.
- Add the garlic powder, sour cream and butter (it's good to melt it in the microwave first). Process some more until it reaches your preferred consistency.
- Move into a serving bowl and add about half the grated cheese. Mix it in.
- Add the remaining cheese, chives and bacon onto the top and allow the cheese to melt. You can put it back in the microwave to help the cheese melt if you like.