If you’re looking for a super easy, lazy keto meal to have for lunch or dinner, this dish may be just thing for you. And, if you weren’t already a fan of chicken tenderloins, you may change your mind once you’ve tried this delicious keto Chicken Tenders and Peppers sauté
It’s a one-pan dish that takes about 15 minutes to prep and 10 minutes to cook, so you don’t need to slave away in the kitchen for a perfect, low-carb and high-protein meal that the whole family will love.
Chicken tenderloins are significantly higher in fat than other cuts of the bird. That’s part of the reason they’re so tasty.
So, if you’re watching your fat intake then you can use cuts of thigh (less fatty) or breast (least fatty) as a substitute.
Use a good non-stick pan for this recipe. They’re easier to control the temperature and keep it medium during cooking, which is critical to maintain the flavors of this dish.
If you’re a confident cook, go ahead and use a cast-iron skillet (but be mindful of controlling the heat).
Brown, Don’t Burn, by Using Moisture
Use your lid to keep moisture in the pan, especially when cooking the veg. Being a one-pan dish, things can heat up quickly and burning the meat and vegetables can compromise the flavor.
I found using the lid is the perfect antidote.
How To Make Lazy Keto Chicken Tenders and Peppers
Printable instructions and measurements are on the recipe card.
Season and Fry The Chicken
Season the chicken tenderloins with salt and pepper before browning in the pan over medium-high heat. You’ll want to heat up a tablespoon of oil before popping the tendies in.
If you think your pan is going to get a bit crowded, consider cooking the tenders in two batches. Sear one half in the oil, before transferring to a plate. Turn the heat under the pan to medium, add another tablespoon of oil, and then brown the other half of the chicken.
Take all of the meat out of the pan and transfer onto the plate after cooking.
Brown the Peppers and Onions
Add the onions and peppers to the hot pan and cover with the lid to trap in the moisture.
Remove the lid to stir, and continue until they’ve softened and browned (approx. 5 – 7 minutes).
Bloom the Seasoning and Add Tomatoes
Adding in the Italian herbs / seasoning and salt before you put any more liquid in will help the seasoning bloom. It’ll take about 30 seconds for the to become fragrant, at which point you should add the vinegar and let most of it evaporate off.
Next, add in the tomatoes and bring to a simmer.
Finish the Chicken Off in the Sauce
Add the chicken tendies back into the pan with any juices, and let simmer on low heat until they’re cooked all the way through.
Add the butter in and stir through. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Finito!
Serve and Enjoy!
Garnish with parsley and / or basil.
Enjoy this yummy meal with cauliflower rice or with a side garden salad, or just by itself.
Lazy Keto Chicken Tenders & Peppers
- 1 Medium or large frying pan (preferably non-stick)
- 1 Large chopping board
- 1 Cooking knife
- 1 pound Chicken tenderloins (cut into steaks approximately 1/4 inches thick)
- 14 ounce Can crushed tomatoes
- 1 Red bell pepper (cut into strips)
- 1 Yellow bell pepper (cut into strips)
- 1 Sweet onion (brown or white) (sliced)
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil (extra virgin)
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Pepper
- 2 tsp Italian herbs / seasoning
- 3 tsp Red wine vinegar
- 1 pat Unsalted butter
- Heat the olive oil in your fry pan over a high heat. Cook the tenderloin strips on both sides until browned (2-4 minutes per side). Depending on the size of your frypan, you may want to cook the chicken in two batches to avoid overcrowding. Remove tendies to a plate and cover once browned.1 pound Chicken tenderloins, 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- Turn the heat down to medium-high, and add the peppers and onion to the pan with the salt and pepper. Cook covered with a lid for 5 - 7 minutes until softened and partially browned. The lid is used to retain the moisture of the vegetables and prevent burning. Remove the lid frequently to stir the veg.1 Red bell pepper, 1 Yellow bell pepper, 1 Sweet onion (brown or white), 1 tsp Salt, 1 tsp Pepper
- Add the red wine vinegar and stir, allowing most to evaporate.3 tsp Red wine vinegar
- Add the crushed tomatoes and stir.14 ounce Can crushed tomatoes
- Return the chicken to the pan with any juices and cook the sauce down until at desired thickness and the chicken is fully cooked through. If the sauce gets too thick or dry, just add a little water back in.
- Add the butter and Italian herbs / seasoning and stir through. Voila!2 tsp Italian herbs / seasoning, 1 pat Unsalted butter